Hi, I'm Anna, visiting from Silver Spoon Taste (on a Plastic Fork Budget) and I wanted to share some tips on how to create the perfect closet!
8 Ways to Clean Your Closet and Clear Your Mind
With the onslaught of resolutions, gym membership purchases and crazy juice cleanses, it’s easy to get caught up in the hoopla that comes with a New Year. January is a great time to start fresh, but it’s important to remember the resolutions that mean the most – the ones that reduce stress.
One of the best things you can do to relieve stress is to clear your mind, and an easy way to do that is by cleaning your closet. An organized, clean closet gives you unexpected clarity – outfits are easily assembled, clutter is significantly condensed and your closet finally reflects your unique personality.
Let’s all pretend we are Real Housewife Lisa Vanderpump for the day and make our closets beautiful.
Here are eight tricks to use to clean and organize your closet, and repeat them every New Year!
1. Haven't worn an article of clothing in two years? Give it away or sell it on Ebay. The best way to reduce clutter is to get rid of it. There are only so many ways you can organize those Christmas sweaters you've been hoarding since the 90's- I promise you, they are not coming back in style. And...neither are those matching headbands. This is easily the most arduous part of the process, but if you stick to the two-year rule then you will be able to sort through the pieces of clothing that your wear the most and those that you need to let go of. Take the emotion out of it and give it up!
2. For long-term closet organization, it is important to know which clothing articles should be hung and which ones should be folded. If you have the space, fold your jeans, sweaters and t-shirts. Always hang blouses, jackets, blazers and dress pants. Determine the confines of your closet versus the volume of your folding space and then swap out items that could be folded for those that could be hung and vice versa. You never see sweaters or pants bulging out of celebrity closets on TV, so yours shouldn’t bulge either.
See? No bulging and everything in its place. I can feel my heart rate lowering already.
3. Buy matching hangers. Depending on how many clothes you have this could get a little costly – all the more reason to purge! -- but it is so worth it. Marshall’s and Target have great selections of black felt hangers that I highly recommend. Matching hangers make your closet look more uniform and bring out the striking colors of your clothes.
4. Sort each piece of clothing by type and arrange the various types in your closet in designated areas. Put pants near the back – they aren’t as visually appealing to display – and put blouses and tops near the front.
5. Once your clothing is arranged according to type, then sort it according to color. To really showcase your clothing, follow the rainbow – assemble warmer colors together and blend to cooler colors to flaunt your collection of pieces.
You don’t see the hanger – all you see is your gorgeous clothes!
Thought you’d never take advice from Paris Hilton? Well you thought wrong. She neatly sorts her clothes by the colors of the rainbow, and you should too.
6. If you have room, arrange your shoes on racks and put those that you like the most on eye level. I know this sounds strange, but even though you may not wear those gold sparkly stilettos every day, displaying them prominently in your closet where you can see them will make you happy. If you don’t have room for racks, then put your most favorite pairs of shoes towards the front so you can see them every day – this guarantees an instant smile to start your day. It’s the little things.
7. As you go through your closet to purge and organize, make notes of staple pieces that you are missing. Don’t have a good fitting pair of dark jeans? Need a tailored blazer for work and play? Write it down so you won’t forget, and then keep an eye out for when these items go on sale at your favorite retailers.
8. Finally – make your closet look pretty! Swap out that old flush lighting mount for a trendy mini chandelier. Paint the ceiling of your closet a faint shade of aqua to add some flair. Install glass knobs on your closet door to make it feel special. Reward yourself for your hard work and now clean closet!
Coop Hours Today!
Don't forget to visit The Coop today (Wednesday) from
3:30-5:30pm. Stop by and shop at 1930 Oleander Drive
Credit to: fashionilluminati.com, coreastropa.wordpress.com, forbes.com, provocativewoman2012.blogspot.com, fashionismyonlydrug.blogspot.com